Rubies:

I always see "redcloth" everywhere - a textile implementation for Ruby. So I try
to use it.

Firstly, my code has some <li> tags and whatnot. This command line passed them
through without decorating them:

ruby -e "require 'rubygems'; require 'redcloth'; puts
RedCloth.new(File.read('README')).to_html " > doc.html

Yes, it's RedCloth 4.1.9.

I sort of expected &lt;li&gt; instead of <li>. (I am aware that many wiki
markups cheat and let the user author HTML directly...)

Next, some wikis use ==header== notation. redcloth took out the == marks, and
gave me just <p>header</p>

Next, I have an indented code sample. Ward's Wiki (and my old wikis) could
automatically put a <pre> tag around code samples. Nope.

Next, I thought markuppers should generally strew put class='thang' attributes
around, so a CSS can color them all up. Nope.

Please don't tell me to Google for this - I will only get blog after blog
gushing about how awesome redcloth is. I'd rather hear either how to get these
minimal features out of redcloth - without DIY <pre> tags and such that would
totally defeat the purpose - or hear a suggestion for a better wiki markup library!

--
   Phlip