On Apr 3, 2009, at 15:09, matt neuburg wrote:
> Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:

>>> Actually the patch I really want is the ability to enter numbers
>>> instead
>>> of text.

>>>    More than one method matched your request.  You can refine your
>>>    search by asking for information on one of:
>>>
>>> String#squeeze [Ruby 1.8]
>>> String#squeeze [Ruby 1.8]
>>> String#squeeze! [Ruby 1.8]
>>> String#squeeze! [Ruby 1.8]
>>
>> Somehow you managed to install ri data twice.
>
> No, I don't think so. I mean, yes, I did, but I deleted the second set
> of data some time ago (at your suggestion). But, this is different.
> Look, you can see right on this Web page that there are two squeeze!
> entries:
>
> http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/String.html

That webpage is not built with a stock RDoc template.  RDoc HTML
output and ri output are not the same.

> There are two squeeze entries and two squeeze! entries. Just like on
> my
> machine. So it isn't just me, it's everybody.

It's not me:

apple ruby 1.8.6 with RDoc 2.4.3:

$ ri String#squeeze
Updating ri class cache with 4563 classes...
--------------------------------------------------------- String#squeeze
      str.squeeze([other_str]*)    => new_str

      From Ruby 1.8
      Builds a set of characters from the other_str parameter(s) using
      [...]

Ruby 1.8.8dev built today with RDoc 1.0.1:

$ ri18 String#squeeze
--------------------------------------------------------- String#squeeze
      str.squeeze([other_str]*)    => new_str
      Builds a set of characters from the other_str parameter(s) using
      [...]

Ruby 1.9.1 with RDoc 2.4.2:

$ ri19 String#squeeze
Updating ri class cache with 1688 classes...
--------------------------------------------------------- String#squeeze
      str.squeeze([other_str]*)    => new_str

      From Ruby 1.9.1
      Builds a set of characters from the other_str parameter(s) using
      [...]

So I don't believe this happens with a stock ruby or with a modern RDoc.

> I don't know why, and I
> don't care why; I'm just saying that since this kind of thing can and
> does happen, it would be cool if ri would give me a way to choose
> between them. m.

I can't fix this bug without your help.  You'll have to do some
investigation to find out what the problem is so I can reproduce and
fix it.