On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 6:00 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<charles.nutter / sun.com> wrote:
> Well, according to the earliest drafts of the Ruby standard, continuations
> are not part of "core Ruby" :)
>
> But yes, this is one area we've opted not to be compatible in exchange for
> performance. We could implement continuations, but we'd be several times
> slower as a result.

IIRC YARV also dropped continuations because they would be slow on the
YARV VM as well.

Which does raise an interesting point, though. Call/cc has been
standard equipment on Scheme for years and nobody has complained about
performance. How did Ruby manage to paint itself into a "slow
continuation" corner?
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://www.linkedin.com/in/edborasky