On 25.03.2009 19:02, Arun Kumar wrote:
> One problem is compatability. I'm developing an application that
> extracts the xml tags from a url like 'http://www.shoe-g.com/index.rdf'
> and displays the contents within it. So compatability is an issue.

Between what and what?  REXML is pure Ruby so it runs on all platforms.

> My boss is strict of not using any complex libraries.

This has some implications

  - You can never tackle complex problems, because you always have to
write everything from scratch - and you'll be late on *any* project plan
with this approach.

  - Apparently your boss judges without knowing the facts (REXML and
others are _not_ complex to _use_ as has been demonstrated).

  - Also it seems your boss's understanding of software engineering
needs some serious improvement.  Picking the right tool for a job is a
significant part of it and has already saved tons of working hours all
over the world.  You build applications by plugging together self
written and externally obtained components - that's the only
economically viable way.

  - You cost him nothing or he does not care about how you spend your time.

This is really one of the most ridiculous things I have read in years.
If he would argue with steep learning curve or expensive commercial
software - but a strict rejection of "complex libraries"?

> Can u please help me.

Yes, update your resume and run for a better place to work.

Really, you would also be wasting everybody else's time by trying to
extract all the details on how to do something manually which has been
built already and which you get it for free (i.e. with no extra charge
or installation hassle).

Good luck!

	robert