On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:38:54 -0500, Marc Ch <wooingruby / gmail.com>
wrote in <cf299a71d3bf68781fe420e8b308759a / ruby-forum.com>:

[snip]

>How do you determine what the exact name of the program is that you need
>to pass as a parameter when creating a new WIN32OLE
>object('WhatProgramNameHere.Application')?  How do you find what methods
>can be used with that specific program?  Am I even right in assuming I
>should be using WIN32OLE?

I don't know if there are any alternatives, but for automation on
Windows, OLE is the way to go.

As for information, you're looking for OLE interface documentation. If
you want it for Microsoft applications, then look at the MSDN
documentation at <http://msdn.microsoft.com/>.  For example, if you
wanted to automate Outlook 2007, you would look at
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb176619.aspx>.  Note that
when you search for said documentation on MSDN, use the search phrase
"FOO object model" where FOO is the name of the application.

If you're trying to automate a nonMS application, then you'll need to
check the documentation for the application.

If you didn't know, you can only automate applications with OLE if
they expose an OLE interface.  Those that don't may support DDE
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Data_Exchange).

--
Charles Calvert             |  Web-site Design/Development
Celtic Wolf, Inc.           |  Software Design/Development