Jen Switalski wrote:
> I apologize if this is not using the forum appropriately, but don't
> really know where else to ask.

Well, you might want to ask over on ruby-sonnets...

Seriously, I don't know where else you'd post this.

> P.S. Please no VB. :)

Never VB!

You didn't tell us his name, so I'm not sure if this will work... Let's
say it's "Paul":

'Nothing'.between? 'Jan', 'Paul'

Evaluates to true. It means Nothing can come beween Jan and Paul. (Note:
Case-sensitive.) In this case, it's comparing strings -- Nothing is
alphabetically after Jan, and before Paul.

If his name doesn't come after Nothing, it gets trickier. Suppose he's
George:

!'anything'.between? 'Jan', 'George'

(The ! means "not", but "not anything" is less powerful a statement than
"nothing".)

You get the idea. Maybe there are nicknames that will work... Definitely
fits on the cake, at least.