unknown wrote:
> Is there a way to put a shortcut down in the dock so I can just click
> it to run the particular Ruby script (or click it from within
> Finder)?
>
> Thanks.

You should save the file as a Ruby file, but it must be made
'executable' to run as a script and not open in Terminal. To do this in
terminal you need to use:

chmod 755 /path/to/your/file

This will keep it from opening in Terminal. But it won't be an
application, so I don't think you can put it in the dock where you want
it.

If you want an Application which you can put on the dock, then you will
need to wrap your script using Platypus
(http://www.sveinbjorn.org/platypus). Platypus can take ruby (and other
script langs) and create double clickable applications from them.

You can also save your script with a unique prefix and name which will
allow you to use Spotlight to run it. For example, save your script as
xxMyScript.rb and you can access it relatively quickly using Spotlight
in 10.5 (much slower and different key combinations on Tiger):

1) type cmd-spacebar to set focus to spotlight search field
2) type 'xx.MyS' and wait a sec for it to appear in the "Top Hit" of the
Spotlight search results
3) type return when you see it as the "Top Hit" and it will launch and
run.

hth

vince