On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 6:17 AM, Robert Klemme
<shortcutter / googlemail.com> wrote:
> Lack of responses to me indicates that you probably need to hack Ruby's C
> core to achieve what you want. =A0If you just want to see method definiti=
ons
> you can as well get Ruby sources and search through them.

Thanks Robert. I wasn't thinking properly about it. I believe you were
correct in saying most everything loaded before doing a simple puts is
just C code...the more I thought about it (and after running strace to
verify), it seems that no external ruby libs are loaded up by the
interpreter assuming that your code doesn't do any specific requires.
So, the code I showed gave no results correctly...but if you change it
to:

$ ruby -rtrace.rb -e 'require "net/http"'

You get the expected results. So, in lieu of having rubinius, I think
that's the best you can expect. Everything else you'd have to dive
into the C for. And honestly, I don't really care about the C...I'm
more interested in being able to debug libraries and gems that are
more promiscuous than they should be.

I appreciate your help and guidance.

John