* Marc Heiler <shevegen / linuxmail.org> (2009-03-13) schrieb:

> Picture a small method which accepts one argument. Inside this method is
> simply a case/when menu, nothing else. The question I now have is ... -
> should the argument be coerced to string or symbol?

What is that supposed to do?

Deciding what to do based on some argument passed in is no good idea.
That might be, why you don't find it that often.

The exception of course is parsing. But there might be alternatives to
case-when, such as Hash-Lookups.

For Strings vs. Symbols: User supplied usually is in a String. When
programmer supplied data comes in small quantities Symbols are usually
more convenient.

mfg,                      simon .... l