2009/3/10 Aaron Patterson <aaron / tenderlovemaking.com>:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:24:25PM +0900, Michal Suchanek wrote:

>> > This is not exactly an answer to your question.
>> > But, you may want to take a look at this site to help with reading
>> > (about any topic).
>> >
>> > http://www.rikai.com/
>> >

>> That could perhaps help for PDF books if they allow cut&paste. Paper
>> books without furigana (or what are those tiny letters called)...
>
> The tiny letters are called Ruby. Seriously.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_character

That's one way to call them. However, "ruby" probably means any
pronunciation small print while դ꤬ (see my paste-fu ;-) refers
specifically to small print of pronunciation of Japanese Kanji.

The Ruby markup in HTML could be used for any explanation text,
though. Unfortunately, the markup is not well supported in browsers.
Firefox needs a separate plugin for rendering ruby text. I don't know
about other browsers, Firefox is the only reasonably crossplatform
thing resembling a web browser I could find.

Thanks

Michal