On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Sam <ruby / net153.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am starting a personal project to build a configuration webpage for a
> small router device. Half of it is already done in perl cgi by someone
> else. I want to rewrite that and add to it using ruby and cgi. Does anyone
> have some good resources for rubg cgi programming? I am sorta new to ruby
> and very new to cgi. Or possibly should I just stick with the perl cgi that
> is already partially implemented?

On that last question, the answer depends on WHY you are doing this.
If the main reason is "I need a new configuration webpage for my
router with functionality X, Y, and Z, and I need it as soon as
possible, and it needs to be bug free", and you already know Perl more
than Ruby, there is a good chance that the best thing to do is to
update the Perl without changing languages.

On the other hand, if you want to learn Ruby and have an interest in
using it for web programming, and you are willing to accept the
probability that you'll expend more time and effort to finish the
project but also learn something about Ruby in the process, it may
make sense to switch to Ruby.