Yuri Klubakov wrote:
> I was even able to
> serve a simple web application with WEBrick and Ramaze, but it would
> occasionally crash the Kernel.

No userland application should be able to crash the kernel - not even
one running as root. So if this is happening, then you have an
underlying O/S problem which you need to resolve. You are lucky that
Ruby provides you with a way to replicate it :-)

Once that's done, you can take a view on how well Ruby works on your
platform.

FWIW, I have used ruby-1.8.6p36 very successfully on MIPS (Asus) and x86
(Soekris) embedded hardware, both under OpenWrt. The Asus box had 32MB
RAM, the Soekris 64MB. No crashes.

I see OpenWrt has moved its ruby package forward to 1.8.6p287, but I've
not tried that. I am still suspicious of later changes made in the 1.8.6
branch, and would suggest p114 as a safer choice.