Hello Ed:

I'm jumping into the conversation... For Windows I got impatient waiting
for the rubyinstaller (but I'm still looking forward to it) so I
downloaded the windows ZIP from the ruby front page
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/.  Extracted everything to a c:\progam
files\ruby directory then added the c:\progam files\ruby\bin and
c:\progam files\ruby\lib directories to my PATH variable and things seem
to work OK (except for ruby-opengl, which I can't get work because of a
reference to mscvrt-18.dll or something like that which I haven't
figured out yet).

Don't know about rails.

Michael