Dominik Honnef wrote:
> Too bad that I didn't know of rumai back when I was actually using
> wmii. I am quite surprised though that I never came along it's name,
> even when writing my very own Ruby frontend for wmii (which I honestly
> abandoned because I didn't really like what wmii provided).

The project was named wmii-irb in the past, and I don't recall
announcing it on ruby-talk back then.  It was mostly discussed on the
wmii mailing list.

> Would you say that rumai would change the behaviour and feeling of
> wmii in major ways, compared to ruby-wmii?

Yes.  Try the live demonstration (IRB session) examples in the user
manual and see for yourself:

  http://snk.tuxfamily.org/lib/rumai/#Tutorial

> Or is it more or less just he same result with cleaner code?

Rumai is a *library* that lets you manipulate wmii in a Ruby-ish way.
In contrast, ruby-wmii is not a library; it is an operating environment
(with plugins, logging, integration, etc.) for your wmii configuration
(wmiirc).

As a result, ruby-wmii can be built atop Rumai to allow even more
scriptability.  My personal wmiirc (not ruby-wmii) does exactly that:

  http://www.suckless.org/wmii/alternative_wmiirc_scripts.html

Cheers.