On 26 Feb 2009, at 08:21, Robert Klemme wrote:
> 2009/2/26 Eleanor McHugh <eleanor / games-with-brains.com>:
>> A lot of these arguments though have less to do with beauty per se
>> than they
>> do with an evangelical zeal to save the poor benighted heathens
>> from their
>> dark and superstitious coding ways. Personally I like my
>> superstitious ways
>> and I'm happy to leave benighted heathens to their own devices :)
>
> I see we seem to have a quite similar approach to those language
> "discussions".  That's why my engagement in them is usually brief.
> There is no point in trying to "convert" someone of a different
> "belief".

I just like a good argument ;) Plus I've always believed that the best
way to find out stuff is to make someone who already knows it so
defensively apoplectic that they give you their very best material in
defence. Lather, rinse, repeat :)

> <wandering even="more off topic">I find the meta discussion about what
> makes people have such strong feelings about particular positions and
> why they want to convert others much more interesting.  I guess it has
> something to do with basic instincts of humans who need to know where
> they "belong to", i.e. what is their peer group and what are their
> convictions.  But this discussion is rarely seen in our forums; maybe
> it has something to do with IT guys (they mostly are - unfortunately)
> seeing themselves as rational people who believe there are rational
> reasons for most or all of their decision. Which reminds me of
> zealotry in political leftist circles who also believe(d) that they
> know how history works and what it needs to make everyone happy. I
> find it surprising that after Third Reich and Gulag there are still
> people who believe that they are able to force happiness on
> everyone...</wandering>

Rationality has its uses, but carried to extremes it leaves the mind
trapped in a particular logical fallacies with no means of breaking
free. The universe after all is nothing more than a multi-dimensional
bumpy phase space full of highly misleading localised minima and
anyone who sits atop one is bound to be even more misguided than those
of us who get to the top of one slope and then decide to go for a
wander into the next valley. Who knows what exciting rabbit-holes we
may find there >8p

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains