On 25 Feb 2009, at 21:54, Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 25.02.2009 01:41, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>
>> But then again I've seen beautiful code in C and Assembler, even
>> in  Pascal (see my favourite book, Programming Languages: An
>> Interpreter- based Approach for some wonderful examples) and
>> perhaps one day I'll  see beautiful code in Nexus. That alone will
>> be justification enough  for the love and effort its developers are
>> pouring into it.
>
> Of course, this provokes the question "what is beauty?" (or "what is
> a beautiful program?").  Pascal seems to like cascades of brackets
> so he even writes Ruby code that way (or maybe it's just a habit) -
> other people will like something else.  IIRC there is this saying
> about the "eye of the beholder"... :)
>
> What I probably wanted to say was: if you consider beauty as a
> criterion for discussing languages it comes as no surprise that
> there is so little agreement among people. :-)

A lot of these arguments though have less to do with beauty per se
than they do with an evangelical zeal to save the poor benighted
heathens from their dark and superstitious coding ways. Personally I
like my superstitious ways and I'm happy to leave benighted heathens
to their own devices :)

> And yes, we've gone completely OT. :-)
>
> Kind regards
>
> 	robert
>

> PS: For me beauty in a program is clear structure and few but well
> chosen lines of code.

The same here, and I like to believe that insofar as there are any
objective criterion for beauty in code those are the most easily
expressed.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains