On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 09:33:08PM +0900, David Alan Black wrote:
> > By agreeing on a set of tags like [XML], [GUI], [CODE] and the already
> > in use [ANN], we keep all the traffic on one group/list, and allow
> > people not interested in e.g. GUI discussions to use the `kill'
> > feature of their newsreader on messages with [GUI] in the subject,
> > while to follow just specific discussions, messages with no tag in the
> > subject can be killed.
> I don't think it would work, for a couple of reasons.  First, agreeing
> on the tags....  Come to think of it, this is also the stumbling block
> for me with splitting the list up.

Yes.  The difference is that a bunch of tags does not involve nearly
as much setup as splitting lists and still allows all the benefits.

> I think/hope that a lot of posts are multidimensional.

I think you are right.  Yet, if a considerable amount were not
somewhat unidimensional, the issue of moving it to a separate list
would not have been brought up in the first place.

> I guess one could just select a dominant theme, and have that be
> one's tag.  (And no one would be forced *not* to read anything.)
> But I just have a feeling that in practice it would be problematic.

Can't argue with feelings. :-)

> Also, a system like that is sort of moot unless everyone does it, and
> not everyone will.

Inability to make something perfect should not prevent to make it
better.

Massimiliano