Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 25.02.2009 01:41, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>
>> But then again I've seen beautiful code in C and Assembler, even in
>> Pascal (see my favourite book, Programming Languages: An Interpreter-
>> based Approach for some wonderful examples) and perhaps one day I'll
>> see beautiful code in Nexus. That alone will be justification enough
>> for the love and effort its developers are pouring into it.
>
> Of course, this provokes the question "what is beauty?" (or "what is a
> beautiful program?").  Pascal seems to like cascades of brackets so he
> even writes Ruby code that way (or maybe it's just a habit) - other
> people will like something else.  IIRC there is this saying about the
> "eye of the beholder"... :)
>
> What I probably wanted to say was: if you consider beauty as a
> criterion for discussing languages it comes as no surprise that there
> is so little agreement among people. :-)
>
> And yes, we've gone completely OT. :-)
>
> Kind regards
>
>     robert
>

> PS: For me beauty in a program is clear structure and few but well
> chosen lines of code.

Not me. It was the beauty I saw in Ruby that drew me in. Beauty in art
is often about a kind of integrity - be it structural (music, sculpture,
architecture, programming), expressive (graphic art, poetry,
programming) textural (drawing, music).  A very incomplete analysis, of
course, but the point is that certain abstract qualities tickle the
brain, and our brains all come from the same genetic pool, so we share
common joys. Drawing closer to a clear vision of how that happens is
also beautiful, I think.

Beauty also has something to do with novelty, with surprise. I find both
surprise (sorry, Matz), and integrity in Ruby, and love both. Surprise
that a relative few powerful ideas can be so gainfully permuted, and
with such integrity. Stravinsky knew how to do that.

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc / tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)