On 25.02.2009 01:41, Eleanor McHugh wrote:

> But then again I've seen beautiful code in C and Assembler, even in
> Pascal (see my favourite book, Programming Languages: An Interpreter-
> based Approach for some wonderful examples) and perhaps one day I'll
> see beautiful code in Nexus. That alone will be justification enough
> for the love and effort its developers are pouring into it.

Of course, this provokes the question "what is beauty?" (or "what is a
beautiful program?").  Pascal seems to like cascades of brackets so he
even writes Ruby code that way (or maybe it's just a habit) - other
people will like something else.  IIRC there is this saying about the
"eye of the beholder"... :)

What I probably wanted to say was: if you consider beauty as a criterion
for discussing languages it comes as no surprise that there is so little
agreement among people. :-)

And yes, we've gone completely OT. :-)

Kind regards

	robert

PS: For me beauty in a program is clear structure and few but well
chosen lines of code.