snex wrote:
> [snip]

>>> mohammad was a pedophile.
>>>
>> Uh, dude, it's really bad form to make such allegations with
>> documentation of some sort. Plain irresponsible. I doubt that you have
>> any, but how are we to know? In fact, you may even be unfamiliar with
>> the concept, but that's another story.
>>

> their own holy books state it. he married aisha at the tender young
> age of 6.
>

>> FYI, a lot of this fairly straightforward Islamic stuff is coming out of
>> well funded effort in Turkey to get some reasonably accurate information
>> about Islam out into the world, to combat some of the racist,
>> xenophobic, colossally ignorant rant that pours out of certain centers
>> of ignorance in the US and elsewhere. I do NOT approve of this spamming
>> of this list, but let's try to keep our heads on and our facts straight.
>> And yes, Islam deserves a far better shake in the non-Islamic world than
>> it's gotten of late. For one thing, Islamic universities preserved Greek
>> wisdom during the dark ages, at a time when my ancestors (and quite
>> possibly yours) were living with and like pigs, in dark, cold places.
>> The Christian (?) Crusaders brought back Aristotle to Europe from these
>> Islamic centers of learning, to the amazement and perplexity of, among
>> others, the Catholic Church, which as usual was busy spinning tales
>> about how it invented sunshine.
>>

> this crap spam is not a well meaning effort to dispel myths about
> islam, it is intended to convert the world to their delusions.

Again, you're behaving rudely. It's not crap. I get a lot of Christian
evangelical stuff at my door that's much more outrageous. This is just
coming from an earnest believer. Not my style, or yours, but also not
crap. If you want to be respected for your position, you would do well
to respect others more.

Not a well-meaning effort? Why not? It's not precisely objective, I
think, but what do you know of the writer's motivation? To me, it reads
as well meaning. The writer intends no harm to his readers. I cannot say
quite the same about you - you sound pretty hostile. Reminds of certain
religious fanatics I've had contact with.

As for the conversion business, I don't see that at all. The writer is
not talking about you and me, but about the QurÄän and the Prophet, as
he is referred to. How is that an attempt to convert? I think this piece
is an attempt to correct some mis-perceptions. Out of place thought it
is, it still is not at all as you have characterized it. The first
principle of good scholarship is to get the text right. In this, I think
you have failed outright.

>> Finally, I have no horse in this race. None at all, other than a
>> lifelong commitment to trying to educate myself and act intelligently
>> and compassionately when it really matters. Care to join me?
>>

> attempting to engage in actual discussions with people who believe in
> magical fairytales about men riding flying horses to mecca or being
> born of virgins only gives them an air of legitimacy that they do not
> deserve.

You believe in flying horses and virgin births? Really? You're the only
one I'm talking with. I have not written a word to the author of the
original email. Again, you are not well attending to what's going on.
I'd say that your prejudices are not serving you well, but that's just
my opinion.

As for me, I don't hew to any organized religion. Don't need to. I
program in Ruby, and I'm rather sure that Matz walks on water. Must be a
Japanese thing - you know, surrounded by all that water... A gene pool
adaptation of some sort, rarely seen. Don't worry - just a speculation,
not a new "faith-based initiative" (Gaaack!).

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc / tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)