On Feb 25, 2009, at 5:30 AM, Bary Buz wrote:

> Hello everyone,

Hello and welcome.

> i am new to ruby and im having some problems trying to reformat a text
> file.
>
> Basically, i have a large log file which is around 200mb in the
> following format:
> 1000000             name
> Status            :A
> Basetype          :2
> Version           :1.0

> id, Status, Basetype, .... , Name
> 1000000, A, 2, ..... , /file/name/etc
> 1000001, B, 2, ..... , /file/name/etc

Do you just read the log file replacing variables holding Status,
Basetype, Version, and Name then spit out a new entry each time you
run across a number?

> i tried to write a script in ruby to do that task but i dont get any
> output so far.

I'll try to give some feedback
> def getfile(file_name)
> entry = []
> IO.foreach(file_name) do |fl|
>  if fl.include? 'name'
>   entry.push fl.scan(/\d+/)[0]
>  elsif fl.strip =~ /\A\d/
>  end
> end
> entry
> end

I don't see this method used anywhere in the code.

> def writefile(file, *linedata)
> linedata.each do |line|
>  file << line.join(", ") +\n"

You are missing a quote there.  It should be:

   + "\n"

>  end
> end
>
> def readfile(file, outputfile)
> out = File.new(outputfile, "w+")
> info = []
>
> wline = ['id', 'Status', 'Basetype', .... 'Name']
>
> IO.foreach(file) { |line|
>
> if line =~ //

Don't do that.  It doesn't do what you think it does.  :)

What are you looking for here?  A line that starts with a digit?  If
so, use this:

   if line =~ /\A\s*(\d+)/
     # the digit is in the $1 variable here...

>  wline[0]= line.scan(/\d+/)
> elsif line =~ /Status/
>  wline[1]= line.split(":")[1].scan(/[a-zA-Z]+/).join("")

The above two lines can be simplified to:

   elsif line =~ /\A\s*Status\s*:\s*([a-zA-Z]+)/
     wline[1] = $1

The other assignments could be handled in a similar way.

> elsif line =~ /Basetype/
>  wline[2]= line.split(":")[1].scan(/\d+/).join("")
> wline all fields
> writefile(out, wline)
> end
> out.close
> end
>
> readfile('filename', 'outputfile')
>

> this is what ive done so far, can someone tell me whats wrong and i  ont
> get any output at all..

It's not real easy for me to tell why you don't see output.  It looks  ike  outputs might only happen in that last elsif.  If that's the
case, you won't se output unless the code makes it there.  I'm
guessing it's not.  Maybe because of the line =~ // condition, which  s problematic.

I believe the code below does something like what you want.  I hope it  an be adapted to your needs.

James Edward Gray II

#!/usr/bin/env ruby -wKU

fields         = ["id"]
fields_written = false
entry          = { }

DATA.each do |line|
   case line
   when /\A\s*(\d+)/
     unless entry.empty?
       unless fields_written
         puts fields.join(", ")
         fields_written = true
       end
       puts fields.map { |f| entry[f] }.join(", ")
       entry.clear
     end
     entry["id"] = $1
   when /\A\s*([a-zA-Z]+)\s*:\s*(\S+)/