* Vetrivel Vetrivel <vetrivel.bksys / gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to create new unique id in ruby.I have used the following
> coding.But I don''t know whether it works perfectly or not.
>
>  t = Time.new
>  p "%10.5f" % t.to_f
>
> does it give unique value always.I you know some other way ,please say
> to create unique id .

UUIDis a standard way of constructing unique identifiers, and a Ruby
libraryexist already, so unless you require the identifiers to be
integers, I suggest you use that.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID
[2] http://wiki.github.com/assaf/uuid

--
Lars Haugseth

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
 retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom Lehrer