I have tried to do this with the irb and here is what I am getting:

C:\ruby>irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'net/https'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> @connection = Net::HTTP.new("172.31.3.97", 8080)
=> #<Net::HTTP 172.31.3.97:8080 open=false>
irb(main):003:0> @connection.use_ssl = true
=> true
irb(main):004:0> @connection.verify_mode = OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE
=> 0
irb(main):005:0> @connection.get("myRequestString")
=> #<Net::HTTPVersionNotSupported 505 HTTP Version Not Supported
readbody=true>
irb(main):006:0>

anyone have any idea why I would be getting the 505 error. I only
required https not http so I dont understand what is going on here. I
have been searching for help on this error but cant seem to find any
real good explainations or ideas on how to fix it.

Also if I am doing something wrong with the irb pointers in that area
would be helpful too because I have never used the irb.