On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Philip McDonald
<philip_mcdonald / mac.com> wrote:
> Hey Thanks!  That worked!  And I quit terminal, restarted, and logged back
> into irb and it did it again.   So, good stuff, and thanks for the, uh,
> "prompt" assistance.

For what it's worth, you don't need to quit terminal.  Just close irb
and start it back up.

> I'm still wondering why it didn't load up automatically.  Is it supposed to?
>  All the info I read about .irbrc said that when irb is loading, it looks
> for those files automatically.  What's up?

If what Robert suggested worked, then it *is* reading your .irbrc when

Here's what you said you put in your ~/.irbrc in your original message:

  IRB.conf[:PROMPT_MODE][:DEFAULT] = {:PROMPT_I => "%N(%m):%03n:%i>
                                       end

I can see a couple of problems here.  It's possible that they're
copy/paste errors, but A) there's an opening curly brace right after
the first = and no closing curly and B) what's that end about?

If your ~/.irbrc is invalid, it will fail silently.  My guess would be
that it reads /etc/irbrc first, then ~/.irbrc, so if there's a problem
with your ~/.irbrc, it would seem that it's not loading.

Hope that helps :)

Ben