--0016361645a505b55204634829bc

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Bill Kelly <billk / cts.com> wrote:

> I agree there is some bias based on experience, as I went through
> a phase about 18 years ago as a C programmer, deliberately
> memorizing the operator precedence table and taking small delight
> in being able to write expressions devoid of any parens except
> those strictly necessary to the parser.

> Eventually one of my co-workers told me he had trouble reading
> my code.  Initially my (private) reaction was, this guy isn't
> serious about his craft!  He really ought to learn the language.
>
> Thankfully I got past that phase eventually.
>
> My current bias based on experience is that when reading code,
> my brain does frequently prefer more parens than are strictly
> necessary to the parser.

Somehow this reminds me of the old story of a waiter motioned over to one of
his tables, the customer said:

"Would you taste this soup?"

Waiter, "I'm sorry sir, if there's something wrong with your soup, I'd be
happy to have the chef fix it or bring you something else, but the health
inspector is rumored to be paying a surprise visit, and we've been warned
not to do anything which might cause a problem."

Customer, "No, I insist, please taste my soup!"

The waiter looked around to see if anyone was looking, turned back to the
customer, and said,

"Okay, where's your spoon?"

To which the customer replied

"AHA!"