Hi List!

I am beginning to learn Ruby ( vers. 1.8.6) , and I am using OS X
(10.5.4), and accessing irb through terminal.  On OS X, irb loads from
a /etc/irbrc file that includes the 'simple prompt' code.  I don't
like the simple prompt, and am trying to create my own irbrc for irb
to read when it logs in.

Firstly, the general instructions are to create a ~/.irbrc file, which
I understand as an instruction to create a simple txt file, which I
have called variously ".irbrc", "$irbrc", and " ".irbrc" ", and placed
in a 'ruby' folder under my home directory (my 'mac' house on the
finder)

I then put the code:	IRB.conf[:PROMPT_MODE][:DEFAULT] = {:PROMPT_I =>
"%N(%m):%03n:%i>
					end

saved it, then exited terminal, restarted it, and logged back into irb.

STILL getting the simple prompt, and the 'double tab' auto-completion
thing still works (also a part of the OSX etc irbrc file) so I know
that irb is not reading my irbrc file.

What am I doing wrong?  I've searched and searched, and I seem to be
following the general instructions pretty well.

cheers and thanks for your time

mac