On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 20:25:28 -0500, Aldric Giacomoni wrote:

> I know I could just use rubytree, which looks quite nice, but I'd like
> to see what you guys would do about creating a tree and linking the
> nodes together.
> In C++ we'd just make pointers, so how would we do the equivalent in
> Ruby?

The easiest equivalence is that essentially everything in Ruby is a
pointer and the . operator in Ruby is the equivalent of C++'s -> (This is
similar to how Java behaves as well.) The = operator changes where the
pointer points.

There's no such thing in Ruby as a pointer to a pointer, nor is there any
such thing as a variable that's not a pointer at all.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/