On 18.02.2009 15:18, Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
>> 2009/2/18 Aldric Giacomoni <"aldric[removeme]"@trevoke.net>:
>>
>>> I know I could just use rubytree, which looks quite nice, but I'd like
>>> to see what you guys would do about creating a tree and linking the
>>> nodes together.
>>> In C++ we'd just make pointers, so how would we do the equivalent in Ruby?
>>>
>> We use object references - as always when referring other objects.
>> Ruby does not have the multitude of options that C++ has.

> Alright, Robert - I don't know how that works in Ruby! Would you provide
> me with a simple example, explain it, or point me to something that
> explains it, please?

I wasn't aware that you were after _such_ basic information.  Actually,
since you mentioned using rubytree I assumed that you are familiar with
the language.  The simplest and most basic form of a relation between
two objects is probably:

class Foo
   def set(x)
     @the_other = x

f = Foo.new
x = Foo.new
f.set(x)

Now f references x.

I suggest you get your hands on David's new book once it is out and in
the meantime consult those various introductory documents (can be found
via http://www.ruby-doc.org/).

Cheers

	robert