--0016368e2056395d7404633189ea

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 2:40 PM, David Masover <ninja / slaphack.com> wrote:

> Rick DeNatale wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, I've always found leaving out parentheses in Ruby code,
>> "just because you can" to tend to look far stranger to my eye than putting
>> them in. In fact, sometimes when reading code without them I find myself
>> having to read very slowly in order to figure out just how Ruby is parsing
>> what I'm reading.
>>

> I found that after a few days of deliberately only using parentheses when
> needed, combined with a decent editor with synatx highlighting, and I no
> longer need them at all. I don't find code unreadable with them -- I have to
> work in JavaScript, after all -- but I don't have a problem without them,
> and they do get annoying sometimes

That might be fine as long as you are the only one reading your code.

But I've read lots of ruby code written by myself and a lot of other ruby
programmers of varying levels, and I find code which eschews parentheses
whenever possible rather than in more declarative DSL contexts MUCH harder
to read.

And to second what other have said

def foo bar

Is not a declarative DSL context, at least in my estimation.

--
Rick DeNatale

--0016368e2056395d7404633189ea--