Kyle Schmitt wrote:
> I needed a little daemon thisafternoon, so I wrote one in ruby using
> fork and Process.detach.  It's working ok I suppose, except that when
> I logout, it hangs, and I have to kill my session.  It's a little
> annoying, to say the least.  Anyone know a better way of doing this?

IIUC, Process.detach is not what you need to start a daemon. All it does
  is start a ruby thread to reap the pid when the child exits, so you
don't end up with zombies. If the parent process exits first, this
thread is gone anyway.

Search the list for daemonize... for a classic daemon, you need to
double fork, Process.setsid, chdir, disconnect from stdin/out, and
probably something else I'm forgetting.