Chad Perrin wrote:
> Generally, I think the best way to do it is to provide several different
> ways to install stuff, if you want cross-platform easy installs and your
> userbase will consist of more than just Ruby programmers.

I suppose that is best for brand-new users. However, it is a lot of
work, and it means there may be some confusion as to which version is
the latest, and how to keep up to date.

Generally, even as a user, I find that I would much rather have a few
lines to paste into the terminal -- even better if I understand them --
than have to download something, find it, doubleclick on it, and maybe
still have to type a few lines in the terminal.

For example, I would tell Ubuntu Intrepid users to do this:

sudo apt-get install rubygems
sudo gem intsall myapp

Or maybe, even better:

sudo sh -c 'apt-get install rubygems && gem install myapp'

Quicker for the user, probably quicker for the developer.