--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 06:25:44PM +0900, David Masover wrote:

> If you want to distribute your app in the friendliest way, that makes it
> easiest for users of any OS to install it, build a gem. There's a
> reasonably easy way to install Ruby and Rubygems on any OS, and once
> that's there, it's easy to install your gem.

This has its ups and downs.  The down is that someone has to install
other stuff before installing the application -- and if you're developing
for typical end users, telling them "Go install Ruby and Rubygems, then
come back here and install it," will make them look for an alternative
(or, if that's not an option, it will probably at least make them curse
your name).

Generally, I think the best way to do it is to provide several different
ways to install stuff, if you want cross-platform easy installs and your
userbase will consist of more than just Ruby programmers.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
Quoth Anonymous: "Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z--