Pit Capitain wrote:
> 2009/2/12 Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown / gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Pit Capitain <pit.capitain / gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Gregory, there is no Ruby 1.8 and has never been. There have been
>>> 1.8.0, 1.8.1, up to 1.8.7, each one differing from the others.
>>
>> You keep saying this but frankly, it's ridiculous.  Yes, you can find
>> changes.  In Ruby 1.8.7, you get clubbed over the head with them.
>
> So we agree to disagree. Though I'd be interested in what you'd define
> as "Ruby 1.8". Is it 1.8.6? Why not 1.8.2? Does 1.8.5 qualify as being
> a "Ruby 1.8", despite the differences to 1.8.6?

Until now, it didn't matter. Most code written under 1.8.6 ran quite
happily under 1.8.5 or 1.8.2, unless it exercised a few specific bugs or
a few edge cases of feature enhancements.

Example: TCPSocket.new now accepts up to 4 arguments instead of just 2.
However few people use the functionality (for binding to an explicit
local IP and/or port). Those who do will need to run the later version
of Ruby.

IMO, the biggest problem with 1.8.7 is that people are getting it
installed by default (e.g. in newer Debian/Ubuntu systems). They are
starting to write code using a whole heap of new features in 1.8.6,
sometimes by accident. This code will not run on production 1.8.6
platforms. Once library writers start doing this, it messes up the whole
library ecosystem.