Jeff Vogt wrote:
> I just tried this on 1.8.6.  Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Wikipedia is good, but I think the best-known article on this is here:
<http://docs.sun.com/source/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html>, entitled
"What Every Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic".

> And if this is in fact intended behavior, how can I actually get the
> results I want? (Converting dollars and cents into cents)

Avoid using floating point. Seriously. Some might advice you to round:
(a*100).round => 1012, but that's *unreliable*, even with some quite
small number of digits.

Store cents as an integer, or use BigDecimal.

Clifford Heath.