On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Pit Capitain <pit.capitain / gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/12 Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown / gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius / gmail.com> wrote:
>>>         Engine Yard is willing to step up as the official maintainer of
>>> ruby1.8.6.
>>> (...)
>>
>> This would give those of us who need a stable legacy 1.8 to follow a
>> place to look for bug fixes and stablizations.
>
> Gregory, there is no Ruby 1.8 and has never been. There have been
> 1.8.0, 1.8.1, up to 1.8.7, each one differing from the others. I'm
> sure that for each new version you can find new methods introduced
> and/or behaviour of existing methods changed. This was the point I
> never understood: what's so special about the transition to 1.8.7?

You keep saying this but frankly, it's ridiculous.  Yes, you can find
changes.  In Ruby 1.8.7, you get clubbed over the head with them.

> I think what most of you really want is to keep 1.8.6, not some
> ominous "Ruby 1.8", what ever this should be. Ezra has put this right:
> "maintainer of 1.8.6".
>
> So, you keep your 1.8.6, and others can go on to 1.8.7 and beyond. I
> think this would be a perfect solution.

We're not in disagreement here.  It's just been my experience that I
can write code on 1.8.6 without thinking about back-wards
compatibility with earlier versions, for the most part.  We all know
that things have changed, but not in so radical a fashion.

What I was supporting was a stable 'flavor' of Ruby 1.8, in the form
of a EY supported 1.8.6.

And I agree completely that this solves the issue without forcing
people in one direction or the other.  If ruby-core wishes to support
1.8.7 and beyond, those who like the idea will not be left
disappointed.

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com