On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius / gmail.com> wrote:

>         Engine Yard is willing to step up as the official maintainer of
> ruby1.8.6. We can provide the right amount of human resources as well as
> server and QA resources with automated CI running the rubyspecs.
>
>        I feel that it is very important to keep a stable ruby 1.8.6 lineage
> for some time to come.
>
>        Matz has stated that he is willing to pass the torch on maintenance
> of ruby1.8.6 and we would like to step up to the plate for the whole ruby
> community. Please respond here if you think Engine yard would make good
> maintainers of the ruby1.8.6 lineage

Thanks!! Yes, I think you'd be ideal for this. I do have some questions, though:

1. Would there be a chance of merging the efficiencies of Ruby
Enterprise Edition, especially copy-on-write friendliness, into the
"Engine Yard 1.8.6 stack?"

2. Will this impact Rubinius?

3. Will there be a contribution to the Windows One-Click Installer
project as part of this?

4. Will there be some "community management" / "marketing" effort
associated with interfacing to the major Linux distros?
(Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS, openSUSE/SLES/Novell for sure,
and probably Gentoo as well)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky