On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius / gmail.com> wrote:

>         Engine Yard is willing to step up as the official maintainer of
> ruby1.8.6. We can provide the right amount of human resources as well as
> server and QA resources with automated CI running the rubyspecs.
>
>        I feel that it is very important to keep a stable ruby 1.8.6 lineage
> for some time to come.
>
>        Matz has stated that he is willing to pass the torch on maintenance
> of ruby1.8.6 and we would like to step up to the plate for the whole ruby
> community. Please respond here if you think Engine yard would make good
> maintainers of the ruby1.8.6 lineage

I think that's a great idea.  Restating what I said on ruby-core:

This would give those of us who need a stable legacy 1.8 to follow a
place to look for bug fixes and stablizations.   We would be free to
choose whether we want to support this sort of next-generation Ruby
1.8 that ruby-core provides, and no matter what side of the fence
you're on, you can always follow Ruby 1.9.1 as well if you wish.  In
my case, I'd likely be supporting EYRuby (or whatever you'll call it),
and Ruby 1.9.1 from the core team for my projects.  Others could mix
and match as they please, but they will have the luxury of not having
to dig down into a single release of a branch that has diverged from
it.  That's cool all around.

Just one question:  Have you though about version numbering / naming
schemes yet?

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com