Hi,

I've got some ideas for extended func (or maybe there is something out
there that solves (parts of) this?) for installation and update of Ruby
extensions. Would be great to hear your ideas:

* When you require an extension in Ruby you could specify what version
is (at least) needed like in: "require 'SomeExt' version '1.2'".

* Each extension has a version number and a facility for checking the
compatibility of different versions. (For example this could be
implemented in a simple class "VersionCompatibility" that would take a
version string, such as '1.2', and return the latest version of the
extension that is compatible with the required version, for
example '1.4'.

* If Ruby cannot find a compatible extension locally it would go to RAA
(Ruby Application Archive) or other CPAN-like repository and query it for
the latest compatible version. It would then download and install the
package.

This scheme would involve standardizing a lot of different things and may
be to restrictive but I'd love this automatic update of my Ruby exts and
basically we're almost there... Comments?

Regards,

Robert Feldt