2009/2/11 James Gray <james / grayproductions.net>:
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Pit Capitain wrote:
>
>> 2009/2/11 Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale / gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Ruby 1.8.7 is NOT compatible with Ruby 1.8.6.
>>
>> I've seen many people claiming this, and they might be right of
>> course, but no one has shown any examples yet.
>
> This is trivial to prove.  This code:
>
>  Object.new.tap { |o| p o }
>
> runs on 1.8.7 and not 1.8.6.

1.8.x releases always introduced new methods.
If Ruby releases were done how the mob here wants
them, we wouldn't have a single new method since
1.8.0 was released in 2003.

Important is backwards compatibility and Ruby 1.8.7
is backwards compatible. Nobody so far has shown
where 1.8.7 is not backwards compatible.

That Rails broke was their own fault. They extend core
classes, so clashes are to be expected. If they had
tested with an 1.8.7 release candidate, I'm sure they
could have worked out a solution with the 1.8 maintainers.

Stefan