M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Which KDE do you have? I briefly tried KDE 4.1 on openSUSE 11.1 but
> went back to Gnome 2.24.

4.1.3 with Kubuntu 8.10.

Alt-tab works (but I configured it to show windows and not excessively trippy
hallucinations when it flicks thru them).

Shift-alt-tab does not work - this is a prime example of "cargo cult
engineering", where the GUI impersonates Windows conventions without reading or
understanding the "Common User Access" research that came before them...

Even without the Graphic key raising the root menu, I can keep my fingers on the
keyboard longer than with Windows, and much much longer than with a Mac.

> It's much lighter weight. By the way, I saw a
> post a couple days ago where someone did a performance test of XP,
> Vista and Windows 7 Beta on a 512 MB machine. Windows 7 was better
> than Vista but XP was still better!

And Linux obviously lined them up and blew them out of the water, right?

BTW both Ruby and big batch files like Rake are mondo faster...