Urabe Shyouhei wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>    All other versions are irrelevant and a waste of precious developer
>>    energy as far as I'm concerned.
>
> But what if they want to waste their energy there?

Then they have picked the wrong place for their energies. People should
be branch maintainer because they have pride in good engineering, not to
acquire a private laboratory for what they think are 'cool' features.

> To maintain an old piece of crap like MRI cannot be nothing but boring.  Every
> precious developers you can think of is precious just because he/she can create
> a bright new idea. No one wants to nurse a dead-ended product.

People - including me - do, on many open-source projects. Of course it
is a bit boring to have to work with old structures, when the future can
be seen. But people do so because they see it's important work to give
confidence in the broader project.

If someone thinks it's *so* boring, then they should work on the
bleeding edge, not become "stable" maintainer. I'd rather 1.8 stagnate
than change so randomly.