----- Original Message -----
From: "Lyle Johnson" <ljohnson / resgen.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>; <undisclosed-recipients:>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 8:39 PM
Subject: Ruby and Morphic?
[massive snip]

Lyle, while most people mentioned Morphic is *slow*, I have been
testing Squeak for Windows  and (believe it or not) MS-DOS
and it runs smoothly on a 128 Mb RAM, PIII machine, which
is not a high-end machine by today's standards.
At least the Win32 ports make use of hardware acceleration
(Squeak-D3D  and Squeak-GL)

I have the feeling like the performance problems that people
mentioned where a commonplace to Morphic were more
tied to the sluggish hardware it ran on in the old days
(32 Mb RAM Sparcs and Macs)

Should we take this thread somewhere else for not polluting
Ruby namespace ?  :-)

Should we start a GUI-research-team maillist ?
(as Sean Russell suggested)

I am already busy with two projects (RubiES and FreeRIDE)
but I believe a research team won't hurt, if more people
demonstrates interest. (think of it as R&D meets Ruby)

I am interested on GUIs because of the importance that
it will have in the future in FreeRIDE.

Maybe having a common GUI API for Ruby is not
all that crazy after all.

cheers,
                      vruz