On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Gregory Brown
<gregory.t.brown / gmail.com> wrote:
> I am setting up two threads in the hopes that we can see names
> attached to opinions about the decision to break backwards
> compatibility between Ruby 1.8.6 and Ruby 1.8.7+
> This one is for those who wish that Ruby 1.8 would go *back* to being
> 1.8.6 compatible in Ruby 1.8.8.   If you agree with this, share your
> thoughts or at least a simple '+1'.  If you disagree, please find the
> other thread titled 'If you are happy with the direction of Ruby
> 1.8.7, respond'.  If you are in the middle, I don't know what you
> should do... write two posts?
>
> My goal is to survey ruby-talk so that the core Ruby team has a chance
> to see what people really want.  I'm curious to see if this is as
> one-sided as I think it is.
>
> -greg

Good idea Greg, now that Ruby1.9 is out I really fail to see the
advantages of this.
I am writing lots of compatibility code between 1.8.6 1.8.7 and 1.9
and that really is time not too well spent.

I would like 1.8.6-->1.8.8 so that I can just drop 1.8.7 support

1.8.7, 1.8.9 not really a strong opinion here, those could follow the
rule of dev. releases: use on own risk.
1.9 of course is great no complaints.

Cheers
Robert