On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> The point is if I provide any Char class, arbitrary half of the world
> will complain.  As long as the least functionality can be accomplished
> by code point numbers (see [ruby-talk:32744]), I think it's OK to
> leave Char class to users.

It would seem to me that a Charset class would be more useful, and would
make many less small objects; i also say that in the perspective of
backward compatibility: the current model is that a String holds integers,
not characters. (whether those integers should represent string bytes, or
string characters, is separately debatable)

Mathieu Bouchard                   http://hostname.2y.net/~matju