---- Original Message -----
From: "Lyle Johnson" <ljohnson / resgen.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>; <undisclosed-recipients:>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 8:39 PM
Subject: Ruby and Morphic?
[snip]

> I'm only marginally familiar with Smalltalk and Squeak, but have seen many
> references to Morphic. I've just walked through one of the first Morphic
> tutorials and it *seems* to be the kind of system I'm looking for. So my
> question, for those of you with more experience with Ruby,
Squeak/Smalltalk
> and Morphic, is: is this a good API to try to bring over to Ruby? Or is
> Morphic a nice idea in theory but unwieldy to use in practice? Has anyone
> ever tried a Morphic-like library for Ruby on top of one of the other GUI
> toolkits (couldn't find any hits in the RAA or on google.com).
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this...

I was very interested following the thread Sean Russell started
some weeks ago on a possible common GUI API for Ruby.
Though I don't believe this is the right moment to start coding
something like that, discussing it can help to give us some ideas
on how to deal with it.

Also, in the FreeRIDE project, there has been some discussion
on which GUI toolkit we should using that would possibly meet
all our requirements.
Unfortunately for obvious reasons, creating a GUI API is
far beyond FreeRIDE's scope.

So we did a research on what options we had
We created a comparison table, and added some documentation
links that would help us to define this problem
http://www.rubyide.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?action=edit&id=GUIFrameworkProject/GU
IComparison

* Morphic links from the FreeRIDE mailing list:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/GUI/Morphic/desc.html DMOZ page on
Morphic
http://webs.sinectis.com.ar/jmvuletich/MorphicTutorial/Morphic-Index.html A
Morphic tutorial
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/30 In-depth Morphic information
http://research.sun.com/research/self/release/Self-4.0/Tutorial/Morphic/Morp
hic/Morphic.html  Sun Microsystems - Morphic in Self

In that research, Morphic was also mentioned, but only as
a reference, because we knew we wouldn't attempt to
port the full GUI, it is not one of our goals.

Morphic was developed for the Self language in the
Sun Microsystems labs.
After that, Mahoney left Sun, and joined the
Squeak group, ported Morphic for Squeak and  provided
the Smalltalk community all the experience he acquired
from his Self research.

It's strange that Sun picked MVC when they did the
Java GUI API  ( AWT + Swing )
I suspect it must have been for performance reasons,
back in 1995 we had no JITs.

Not sure if the same applies to Ruby.

cheers,
                   vruz