--0016361e878a42182d0462460a4a

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:54 AM, Mark Thomas <mark / thomaszone.com> wrote:

> > You're not forbidden to talk about other libs. It's just that there
> > are separate lists for Ruby and Rails, and the general understanding
> > is that the questions posted here aren's Rails-specific.
> >
> > So, the people who posted these questions probably aren't using Rails
> > libraries, and thus answers who recommend using them are less useful.
> > Rob was probably just pointing that out. No offense intended.
>
> It can be argued that ActiveSupport is not Rails. For example, I often
> use ActiveRecord outside of Rails, and ActiveSupport is one of its
> dependencies.

I've done the same myself, but...

Activesupport is a rather large wad to swallow if you only need a little of
it's function.  I'm currently working on a new icalendar library for ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/articles/2009/01/23/what-ive-been-up-to-of-late-a-new-ruby-icalendar-library

I was using activesupport jut to do some of the date calculations, but after
debugging all of the myriad examples in rfc2445, I spent the last day
refactoring to get rid of the dependency, since there is enough resistance
in the overall ruby community to activerecord dependencies.

At the same time, I'm writing the code to interact with the fairly new time
zone support in activesupport, since I suspect that much of the ultimate
usage for the gem will be for rails apps, and activesupport now has a fairly
nice api for dealing with times with time zones.

--
Rick DeNatale

--0016361e878a42182d0462460a4a--