Richard Schneeman wrote:

> I also discovered Sage an open source math program written in python
> http://www.sagemath.org/ I haven't done anything with python before, but
> I have some friends who rave django, so it may just be easier to go that
> route. Either way I'll let everyone know what ended up meeting my needs.

Sage is an outstanding project, even though it is written in Python. :)
I'm on their mailing list and I've done a fair amount of testing of it.
In terms of tools for day-to-day use by working mathematicians, I don't
know of anything better in the open source world, and they are closing
in on the expensive proprietary packages like Mathematica and Matlab.

Funny you should mention Sage, since their slogan is, or used to be,
"Building the car, not re-inventing the wheel." :)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky