May I humbly suggest that we use another adverb?

It is difficult enough being born with a cognitive development handicap
about which neither you nor anyone else can do much. It made much harder
when society in general uses words describing you in ways suggesting
that you're undesirable, unwanted, unlike, etc.

In the programming/computer world, we have a similar term, but one which
has much less of a negative loading - AND we're much more able to cope
with any negativity associated with it than are people with cognitive
development challenges. That word is nerd. No one ever feels good about
being called a nerd. No one ever intends good by using the word (except
in humorous settings).

So, lest this get too serious (though it IS a serious issue), dare I say
that to refer to Watir as "retarded" is a really nerdy thing to do? :)
No, I daren't. But...that just might slip out if I allow myself to
bumble alone in my native nerdy mindlessness. Oh my...what did I just
do? It's so easy, isn't it?

No one needs to feel bad, or chastised. I myself once used the "r" word,
in front of 150 people. I also never forget having done it. It was utter
mindlessness, and I intended no harm (I also apologized in my next
sentence), but...it would have been hurtful anyway to anyone affected
who heard it. AND it could have provided a bad example, and that's what
I'm concerned about here. Use of such unfortunately pejorative terms
(and they shouldn't be) really is not tolerable. We all need to be
careful, I think.

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc / tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)