On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 9:13 PM, David A. Black <dblack / rubypal.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I'd like to have a singleton_class method, but even if there isn't
> one, I would definitely not like a meta-ruby standard extension. It
> suggests much too clear a separation between programming and
> metaprogramming in Ruby, whereas part of the coolness of the language
> is how interoperative it all is (e.g., the very fact that singleton
> methods are stored in classes, which in turn fit into the whole
> class/object model in a predictable way).
Well please let me rephrase this:

I think #singleton_class is a great name. I want it, but rather than
in core in a standard library, or even a core class.
However that consideration was OT - 4 which I apologize - and it might
indeed be worth a discussion for 2.0 if 'nuff people think like that.

Back OnT, I really think it is too late to change #singleton_class it
has become so much used in Ruby's jargon.
I am well aware of the ambiguity with the Singleton pattern, but I
feel it is enough related to still be the ideal choice.

R.

--
It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the
dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any