2009/1/30 Colin Mackenzie <colmac / gmail.com>:
> Thanks Peter and Robert for all your insights about his subject. This
> whole thing came to light when I took one of our web based applications
> which is a Terminal management System and was going to port it to
> Solaris system which happen to be a RISC platform. It was originally
> written on a Ubuntu platform using an intel CPU and was going to be
> ported to Red Hat Linux Enterprise on a Dell Blade system. Then
> management changed and wanted it on Solaris. Long story there. When we
> finally got it running it was discovered it took 5 seconds to load a
> simple login page!

That sounds extremely long.  I'd dig into that issue. Do you have
database indexes in place etc.?  I also believe that Rails has some
options that you can switch off because they are convenient during
development but slow down production.

> It is a Ruby on Rails application and I found it was
> during a simple request to a controller to build a very simple page. The
> process used arrays to do "certain" things during the process of
> building the page.

Talk about vague information... :-)

> Hence, my simple ruby program to test. I simply cant
> see any reason to re-architect the application so it will run on a RISC
> platform. So in the end I am going to push for the original plan and put
> this on a blade system of some type. Thanks again and yeah I am old
> enough to remember those 50 floppies of Slackware except I was a
> Yggdrasil fan :)

You either have a configuration issue or your app is slower than
necessary on *any* platform. I'd say if you want scalability from this
I would dig into the performance issue.

Cheers

robert